Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Scrumptious apple scones

Not exactly health food, but holy crap, these are absolutely delicious!

85 g refridgerated butter
350 g wheat flour
3 ts baking powder
1/2 ts baking soda
1 ts vanilla sugar
50 g sugar
1 ts cinnamon
1 ts ground muscat nut
1 1/2 dl plain yogurt
1/2 dl milk
50 g room temperature butter
2 small apples
85 g raisins
1 egg for glazing
2 ss demerara sugar or nib sugar

Dice the refridgerated butter and put it in a food processor, along with wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla sugar, sugar and half the cinnamon and muscat nut. Run the processor until the butter is crumbled.

(If you don't have a food processor, you can do this by hand, but make sure that the butter isn't as cold!)

Warm the yogurt and the milk in a pan until you can see the yogurt starting to separate. Put this mixture into the food processor, and run it just long enough for it to turn doughy.

Take the room temperature butter and mix it with the rest of the cinnamon and muscat.

Peel the apples, dice them into little pieces, and mix them with the raisins.

Sprinkle a little flour on your baking surface, and use a rolling pin to work the dough into a square that's 40x30 cm (16x12 inches). While you're working, it's a good idea to lift the dough a couple of times, to make sure it's not sticking to the table.

Take the butter, cinnamon and muscat mixture and spread it evenly over the square, then sprinkle the apple pieces and the raisins on top of it. Roll the dough into a sausage, and use your palms to flatten it a little bit. Then, you cut it into ten pieces of approximately equal size.

Whip the egg and use a brush to spread it evenly on the scones. Sprinkle demerara sugar or nib sugar on top. Then pop them in a oven that's preheated to 225 degrees celcius (437 degrees Fahrenheit), and let them bake for 13-15 minutes. Let the scones cool off a bit, then serve.

So. That's what the recipe my mom gave me says. But I did it a little differently. First of all, I am not particularly fond of baked fruit of any kind, so I went very easy on the apples. I cut one apple in half, peeled it, weighed it and fount that it was approximately 70 grams worth of apple.

Second, I skipped the raisins entirely.

Third, I didn't sprinkle sugar on top. My mom had one batch with sugar and one without, and I honestly didn't think there was much of a difference.

Fourth, I doubled the amount of cinnamon, 'cause I adore the stuff. In addition, it's supposed to be very good for your metabolism.

Fifth, I used fructose instead of sugar. Which probably doesn't matter at all. Except it has a much lower glycemic index.

I left the scones in the oven for a little over 13 minutes, and while they weren't exactly burnt, I think I'll pull 'em out a little sooner the next time I make them.

Because I'm counting calories (and I'm ever so slightly obsessive of getting it as accurate as possible), I calculated the amount of calories in the scones, by weighing the finished product and adding up the calories in the ingredients I used. The entire batch was 2516 calories! That sounds awful, doesn't it? But, the recipe produced 788 grams of delicious apple scones, so that's about three calories per gram, or 319 calories per hundred grams. If you manage to make the scones approximately the same size - which I totally didn't - that's about 257 calories per scone.

Like I said, this isn't exactly health food, but I plan on experimenting a bit with the recipe and see if I can't make it a little better. For instance, I did not need fifty grams of butter to mix the last of the cinnamon and the muscat with. Next time, I'm going to use half that and see how it goes. I'm also going to try and lower the amount of fructose and see if that affects the taste in a negative way. Seeing as fructose is supposed to have a sweeter taste than sugar, I should be able to make do with less.

At my parents house, I'd get one of these babies from the freezer, and just pop them in the microwave. Voila, 'perfect' breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment