Monday, December 28, 2009

New adventures in exercise

Today, I went spinning for the very first time ever. I've never even considered going to a spinning class before, but an old friend called me and asked if I wanted to hang after she'd been to such a class. Or maybe I wanted to join her? I thought about it, and said to myself, yeah, what the hell. It's exercise. So I went with her.

Before the lesson started, she warned me not to push it too hard too soon. Guess what was the first thing I did after class started? Push myself. Hard. In my defense, no one told me that when the instructor said 'turn up the resistance' he meant 'twist the knob in front of you a teeny tiny little bit'. So I went ahead and cranked it way up. I came very close to reacquainting myself with the salad I had for dinner. I had to stop. After the interval was over, the instructor hopped off his bike and came to ask me if I was okay, and to tell me not to crank up the resistance quite so much.

Funny thing is, I never actually considered that my exhaustion might have something to do with me turning the resistance higher than the rest of the class. I just thought to myself 'Jesus, you're in bad shape!' It wasn't until after class when my friend looked at me and said 'you're crazy!' that I realized that hey, you might not be so bad after all. Because after that one incident when my dinner nearly ended up in my backpack on the floor in front of me, I did more than okay. I sweated like a pig, but I easily kept up with the rest of the class. My friend's mother even said that I'd done really well if this was my first class.

I'll definitely look into spinning classes when I go back to the city in a few weeks' time!

No comments:

Post a Comment