Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The metric system is just better, okay?

Before I went home to my parents house for Christmas, I was using one of those websites that help you keep track of your daily calorie intake and the amount of calories you burn by exercising. At my parents house, however, this is futile. I can hardly ask my mother to do the math when she's cooking. Also, I'd feel extremely funny whipping out my digital scales on Christmas Eve to find out exactly how many grams of potato I'm consuming. So it was just easier to let calories be calories for the month of December, and just try to make healthy choices more often than unhealthy ones.

I did, however, miss knowing how many calories 'extra' I could earn by exercising. It is Christmas after all, and avoiding the goodies simply isn't possible.

(Let's not dwell on the fact that I wouldn't want to avoid them either...)

So I decided that the amount of calories consumed didn't need to be accurate. If I don't know how many calories are in a dish, I'll just guess. As long as I can experience the mood boost of entering running for 30 minutes and seeing the amount of calories burned jump up by about 500.

Wait, what? 500 calories? For running a 2.5 miles in 30 minutes? When you're only 5'3"? And weigh 'only' 170 pounds?

I never really questioned that number before. But today, I realized that the treadmills at my local gym work with kilometers per hour, whereas the website operate with miles per hour. So when I've been entering 7 kilometers per hour for thirty minutes, I've actually been given the number of calories that I would have burned if I ran at 11 kilometers an hour. In thirty minutes, that translates to 2 kilometers that I didn't run.

Can you say BUMMER?!

No comments:

Post a Comment